Monday, April 9, 2007

i am squinting my eyes very hard

Because my browser window just "unexpectedly" closed and lost the blog entry I was typing up. Sigh.

The semester is almost over, as is this internship. Freshman year has been pretty intense, if I may wax nostalgic for a second. I'm quite proud to say my productivity is at an all time high (especially compared to high school/sleeping in class) and this internship has had a large hand in boosting that.

This blog, unfortunately, has not had the benefit of all that productitivty. That's what happens when you get lots of deadlines for other little projects - the big project with no deadline gets repeatedly...delayed, let's say. Of course, the fact that my co-intern has barely been able to post due to computer difficulties (though it seems like she's been able to get back on board - let's cross our fingers...) does not help matters. This is my main focus before I leave next week. I'm going to go back, add pictures and links and other whatnots, to see if this blog doesn't have a nice, finished (key word!) appearance by the end of it all.

What else am I working on? The Flickr site, which has also been troublesome. These user-networking sites seem so easy when you're just setting it up for your own entertainment, but when you're trying to make it professional and practical at the same time the bumps in the road seem to increase rather exponentially. For instance, I have loaded about 15 pictures onto a KIA-logged page. I made a username, password, and loaded some photos just to get started. I then tagged those photos with various useful tags - KIA, museum, art, etc. But when I now, unlogged, go and search those tags, nothing comes up. This is very frustrating. Very, very frustrating. And now, when I go back to log in, it cannot find my username or password. VERY FRUSTRATING. That's okay, though. Gabi made a intern-specific email address, I will use that to re-register a username/password, and I will reload those 15 photos. I don't want to overload the page, because a free site can only host about 100 photos and I'm hoping this Flickr site will be used in the future. We have lots of photos like the one below (from our West Michigan Area Show 2006) sitting on the volunteer computer, and Flickr could be a great, practical way to put them all somehow where lots of people can see them.

In any case, Flickr will be worked on, and Flickr will be overcome. Darn it.

What else am I working on, besides all this internet-based hoohah? Verifying contact information, yeehaw. There is a big old list of contact info for various media peoples (radio directors, TV producers, newspaper editors) and art scene heavies (deans of art departments, etc) from Michigan that we are planning to invite to our Lorna Simpson opening reception in May. Gabi and I are going through this list and double-checking the contact info for any people Paul marked.

That is sort of it for today. By that I mean I'm going to close this particular browser window and see if I can make any headway with the Flickr page. About a week and a half more of this, then exams, then I'm back home to Ypsilanti for the summer. Let's see how much I can get done.

-Laura

No comments: