Monday, March 19, 2007

the end that has just barely begun

So the three of us (Paul, Gabi, and I) had our semi-standard Friday meeting last week, and the general consensus seemed to be that our project is nearly finished. At least for this semester. The Wikipedia has been set up, the Myspace is finished. Flickr and Youtube are still being investigated, of course, but the main body of the social-media marketing scheme is done.

"Done" is a rather loose term for this kind of work, though. Characteristic of the internet itself, viral marketing is always changing. A social website like Myspace can be the height of chic popularity one day, and ridiculously out of date and uncool the next. Then some other linking site will crop up, and everyone will join it, and the cycle continues. That's exactly what happened with Facebook a few years ago - an independently-run site that came out of nowhere is now the social norm for college students (and other groups) to meet people. With that in mind, this project will run on in the (hopefully) years to come, with new interns taking over where we leave off and maintaining the sites Gabi and I have created.

As for the outside projects I've been working on, I'm still doing my usual photography for events the KIA puts on. For instance, just this past weekend I went to the museum to photograph the young artists' exhibit/reception we just recently installed. Lots of adorable little kids were running around excited pointing out their artwork to their parents, it was great. I got lots of photos that look like this one. I'm also now investigating Flickr and seeing how/if that will benefit us greatly in our marketing, and if it's worth the effort to set up an account.

I should also add that the reason for lack of Gabi-posts is that Blogger is apparently being mean to her and won't let her log in. So I have re-invited her again, and we'll see if this can get her back on board. She's only had one post! And I feel like I'm jabbering! Hopefully this blog can actually become TWO-user friendly instead of just one.

I need to get back to work now, even though that's difficult what with the little kid that has entered the library and is deciding to scream at the top of his lungs. Oh well. Til later!

-Laura

No comments: